Mike's Journal....

Ramblings and ravings of a Scottish Student, currently living in Austria.

Monday, November 28, 2005

'Tis the weekend....

I started to write this yesterday, but I realised that I didn't have a great deal to talk about, and that I was half asleep...I think I've rectified both of those issues now, though :)

First off, I worked yesterday morning (Saturday, I know!) as a favour to one of my schools, and I get tomorrow off in return. I had a decent lie-in today, so I'm a lot more awake and on the planet than yesterday, too :)

Two hockey-related things that amused me today - firstly was the Ranger game last night. Tied after overtime, it went to a shootout, which lasted for *15* shooters on each side, until Marek Malik (6'6", 240lbs, a stay-at-home defenceman who hardly ever scores) scored on one of the most ridiculous moves I have ever seen - faked to his backhand, slid the puck back between his legs and roofed it, knocking the water bottle off the top of the net - 'twas a thing of beauty. Funniest thing about it was afterwards, he didn't go crazy, just nonchalantly waved to the fans, as if he knew it was going to work all along....I laughed :)

Secondly, I got a text off Tasj today telling me that Paul Spadafora, an ex-Fife Flyer, and a fan-favourite, was on TV playing in Denmark! I love that I have a girlfriend who understands the love of hockey and tells me things like this :)

Anyhow, enough hockey - what else is happening? Not a great deal, alas - Ruth's been in Prague all weekend, and I've not seen Rachel either, though I plan to rectify that tomorrow. The Studentenheim's been quiet, until today when, completely inexplicably, about 40 people of various different nationalities suddenly appeared - apparently there's some kind of international week this week, so they're here for a few days. Doesn't affect me in any way, really, except that it's an excuse for a big party on Wednesday, to which I'm apparently invited. Score :)

No real plans for the rest of the week, though there's talk of going skiing next weekend, which should be great fun. I've not skied in a while, but I'm okay, so it should be good! I also plan to look into buying a pair of hockey skates at some point soon - even if I don't end up playing hockey here, I'd use them to skate *loads*. €3 for 2 hours of skating, every day of the week....I can see that taking up a number of my evenings! I'd like to find a team to play for, but equipment's the main problem - there's apparently a thing called "Hobbyspiele" a couple of nights a week, so if it's just pick-up hockey, skates and sticks, then I'll do that. If I can borrow gear, there's a rec team I could play for - I've seen them play and I think I could get a game for them, so I shall investigate....

So, no work for me tomorrow.....what shall I do? It's a hard life, I know..... :)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home