Mike's Journal....

Ramblings and ravings of a Scottish Student, currently living in Austria.

Friday, September 01, 2006

This is getting daft...

I've said this plenty times, but I actually *am* going to start updating this properly.

Anyway, I've had an awesome month and a half. For starters, I was in Edinburgh for the Festival for 4 weeks. My reason for being there was largely cash-related, in that my entire employment for the summer was in those 4 weeks...on my rickshaw. Oh yeah, ridiculous as it sounds, I actually had a fantastic time. It's brilliant exercise, pretty damn good money, and an excuse to sit outside in the sun all day talking to people. What's not to like? Okay, the pain my legs felt while cycling people up the Mound was a bit harsh, but nothing some Deep Heat couldn't take care of...

Point is though, that I earned some cash and got into possibly the best shape I've ever been in (in anticipation of playing hockey again, which I missed *loads* last year), while being in one of my favourite cities in the world for the 4 weeks it goes totally insane. The Festival is great fun, and while I was busy most of the time I did get to see some pretty cool shows.

Bill Bailey - doing his "Steampunk" show, he was hilarious. Best comedian I've seen. How he comes up with the stuff he comes up with is beyond me...

Improverts - not specifically a Festival thing, but a student thing. I'd somehow not seen them before, despite a good friend of mine practically living in Bedlam, their venue. Improvised comedy a la "Whose line is it anyway?", and had me in stitches...

Clerks II - the Kevin Smith film, premiered at the film festival, with a Q&A with Kevin Smith afterwards, which was very cool. The film was hilarious, offensive, obscene, and brilliant :)

Last thing was the "TransWorld Orchestra". An act which, going by the name, you wouldn't necessarily think "Experimental dance music performed live with nothing but a drum kit and a didgeredoo". However, that's exactly what it was, and it was oddly entertaining!

Anyhoo, I'm back home for a few days before I start getting ready for Uni again. I'm nearly finished the sodding essay that I didn't really do much on in August, so that's good. Can't really be arsed with it anymore, but it's almost done! It'll be done by Monday, as on Tuesday I'm going back to Edinburgh. On Wednesday, incidentally, I'm flying to London with my flatmate to pick up my Aunt's car, which is then becoming *my* car. I'm rather excited :)

Lastly, I'd forgotten how much I love hockey. Those who know me won't exactly be surprised at this, but after getting back to practice with those of my teammates who are around over the summer, my enthusiasm for it has never been stronger. Maybe it's the fact that I'd not played for months, but damn. What's even better is that I have a new challenge (playing as a forward), and thanks to my "job", I'm in the best shape I think I've ever been. 4 weeks of cycling will beef up the leg muscles a fair bit, and I feel fast...and what's even *better* is that we have a properly organised Scottish Uni league to look forward to this year, for the first time ever.

Anyway, that's about it. I'll stop ranting about how much I love hockey. Until after practice next week, no doubt...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home